This weekend, for the first time, Mike and I did something that made us feel like we had failed at parenting. Saturday morning, Mike woke up to use the restroom and when he got out of bed, I just happened to roll over and notice it was light outside. I immediately turned to the clock and realized it was 8:15 and neither of us had been up with Owen yet. Somehow, I turned the monitor off in my sleep (or never turned it on Friday night) and we can't hear anything in our room if the monitor isn't on, because we sleep with a tower fan blowing air in the room. We immediately jumped out of bed and ran to the nursery only to find our poor child crying hysterically. I'm talking huge crocodile tears, sheets soaking wet from all the tears and the saddest face we have ever seen Owen make. Since he normally wakes up around 6:30, my best guess is he had been crying for every bit of an hour =-(
H-E-A-R-T-B-R-O-K-E-N
Hands down, worst feeling ever. We spent the entire day trying to make it up to him. Here is daddy trying to make it up to him with some cartoons and snuggle time.
There are a few things we took away from the incident:
*We are not, and never will be, perfect parents. Nobody is!
*Children are so forgiving. Five minutes after we got him out of his crib he was smiling like it never happened.
* We must have really been tired and needed the sleep. I haven't slept until 8:15 since the morning I went into labor. No joke!
* We will probably make many more mistakes as parents.
We still feel super guilty, but are thankful Owen is unharmed (at least physically)!
No comments:
Post a Comment