Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Close Call

This past Thursday on my way to work I was rear-ended...by an uninsured motorist. Nobody ever likes to be in a car accident, but being in one at 31 weeks pregnant can be a bit nerve wracking. The damage to the car is minimal, but more importantly Owen and I are doing just fine. After the accident I called my OB immediately and she told us we would need to go to labor and delivery to have the baby monitored for four hours. Mike and I made the drive to the hospital and Mike was super excited when he found out we got to use the "special" elevator for when you are actually in labor. Once we got checked in, they hooked two monitors to my stomach-one to monitor Owen's heart rate and the other to monitor contractions. Throughout the four hours, I was having some contractions, but they were more than likely due to stress. Owen's heart rate was wonderful and it was very reassuring to hear such a miracle. I passed the time by writing thank you notes for all of my wonderful baby shower gifts while Mike managed to root through medical equipment (i.e. the tool used to break your water in labor-he immediately recognized this tool from childbirth classes, stethoscopes, etc.). I have to keep my eye on that one I tell ya!

The irony of this whole experience is my best friend Adrienne was induced on Thursday morning and was just a few rooms down the hall from us starting her labor. What are the chances?!  We have the exact same OB, so she was going back and forth between our rooms. Mike texted her hubby to let him know we were temporary neighbors and he immediately came down to check and make sure everything was ok. We promised them we weren't purposefully stalking them at the hospital just to be there for the birth of their child!!! We have opened a claim with our auto insurance through the uninsured motorist coverage we have just in case there were to be any complications with the pregnancy. The man who hit me has vowed to pay for the damage and he seemed sincere. We are just very thankful the accident wasn't worse and that everyone is safe and sound. I just hope we don't have to go through it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment