Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, March 1, 2010

4D Experience

Today Mike and I were able to catch a glimpse into what Owen is starting to look like in utero. One of the ladies in Mike's graduate school program works for GE Ultrasound and offered a few months back for Mike and I to come into the office for a free 4D ultrasound. Since the scan was considered non-medical, we had to receive medical clearance from my OB and sign a consent form. My OB said the best time to have a 4D is between 28 and 32 weeks once they have a bit more fat on their bones. Needless to say, we have been so excited to take a peek at the little man.

We spent about 30 minutes with the sonographer this evening and when it was all said and done, we were a bit disappointed and thankful we did not spend money to have the ultrasound. I ate a pop tart and drank gatorade prior to the appointment to make sure he was active-it definitely worked. However, Owen had his head squished really low in my pelvic area and was using the placenta as a pillow and the back of my uterus was covering the front of his face...HOW ANNOYING! The sonographer recorded everything on a DVD rather than printing pictures and we never really saw anything. I think I might have had unrealistic expectations going into the whole thing. My thought was we would just be able to make out every detail and feature on his body.  This was not the case at all and we both left feeling like the "D" in 4D stood for disappointment :(

When we got home, the first thing I did was pop the DVD in the computer and watch it in slow motion. I was surprised to find there are a few good shots we didn't originally notice during the scan. When I got to one on the recording, I pressed pause and then took a picture of the computer screen and e-mailed the pic to myself so I can share with you all on the blog. Even if they aren't the best pictures, we are both very thankful we were given the opportunity to take one more peek at our baby before he is born. According to the measurements taken tonight, he weighed right at three pounds, which is big for 29 weeks. I am hoping this will work into my hope of him being born by Mother's Day!! Here is a look at our baby boy!


This is actually a 2D view of Owen's manhood. The large circle is the scrotal sac...The sonographer's term, not mine. I'm sure the rest you can figure out! At the beginning of the scan he was spread eagle (in typical male fashion), but as the ultrasound progressed he crossed his legs. I guess he was feeling violated!


A profile picture. If you look closely you can see his nose, chin, lips and one of his eyes. 


There are five toes on this foot!


Flexing my muscles! Daddy thinks I look like a strong football player already :)


Once he realized we were poking around his privates, he went for the more modest indian style position.

1 comment:

  1. I can not believe this!!! I can't wait to meet him. His feet are huge, which is of course a Ballenger thing!!!

    ReplyDelete